It's perks meets paycheck. If you love skiing, working outdoors and getting the run of the slopes, working at a big ski lodge could be the job of a lifetime.
There are all sorts of job opportunities in most big ski resorts. These vary by season, but typically include Snow Cat operators who groom the trails, tubing hill attendants who handle tube rentals, ski-lift operators, ski patrol, snow safety personnel and ski instructors. Even if you're not a skier, there are plenty of posts in retail, room and restaurant service, maintenance and office-support jobs, child-care providers, bakers and chefs.
Some resorts offer their employees complimentary lift tickets; others offer subsidized housing and discounts on meals. Working in a big or exclusive ski resort can also be great for making business contacts, as some draw very high-end guests.
Here's an example of the benefits offered by Aspen Ski Resort:
- Free four-mountain ski pass, no validation required, also good for summer gondola rides.
- Dependent ski passes (full-time employees only).
- Complimentary skiing and snowboarding clinics.
- Affordable health plan.
- On-mountain restaurant discounts.
- Discounts at company ski shops.
- Discounted bus transportation to get you to and from work.
- Free Employee Assistance Program.
- Direct deposit of paychecks.
- Discounted health club memberships.
- Complimentary ski/snowboarding tickets to 7 nearby resorts and snowboarding resorts
- 401(k) Savings Plan
Here's a list of five hot ski resorts:
For an added perspective, check out this video (sure beats slaving away 8 to 5 in a cubicle):
For more information on hospitality jobs, check out:
Alex A. Kecskes has written hundreds of published articles on health/fitness, "green" issues, TV/film entertainment, restaurant reviews and many other topics. As a former Andy/Belding/One Show ad agency copywriter, he also writes web content, ads, brochures, sales letters, mailers and scripts for national B2B and B2C clients.
Become a member to take advantage of more features, like commenting and voting.
Register or sign in today!